What are your priorities? Do you live by them?
You’re expecting me to say that your priorities should be to lift heavy (or do body weight strength training), and eat real food. Yes, that’s true if health is one of your priorities, or looking good (and who doesn’t want to look good?) But let’s face it, sometimes our greatest priorities fall by the wayside in the face of the tyranny of the urgent.
Here’s the phrase that kept coming to my mind today every time I felt stressed out and rushed, “What a cluster fuck.” Over and over and over. But seriously, who brought all this stuff into my life? ME. Like Danielle LaPorte says, “Whatever is on your plate got there because you said yes to it.” Marriage, two children, homeschooling, working on this website, training goals, getting our house ready to sell etc etc. I said yes to all of it.
In this discussion of priorities, I want you to know, that I am preaching to myself, just as much as I am to you. With that said, here we go…
A Challenge for You (and me):
- Drill down: What are your priorities? Not what you want them to be, not what society, your mother, your religion, or your friends think it should be–what are your priorities? List your top 3. Yes, that is all. Limit yourself. Then, write down your number 1 top priority.
- Always take some action on those priorities every day. Put them first on your to do list or schedule them in ink. Don’t leave the important things until the last minute or to chance.
- Give up trying to be perfect, to do everything, to be superwoman. Clean and neat home not in your top 3? It’s okay. If it helps you can tell people that when they come over. “Having a clean and neat home is not in my top 3 priorities.” (Gasp! A woman that does not put housekeeping in her top 3?! It’s blasphemy! Or your children in your top 3?–Unheard of–but no, really, it’s okay.)
- IDGAF about what others think of your choices. You are making yourself and the world a better place and that is all that matters. Shall I spell it out for you? I DON”T GIVE A FUCK!! Wow does that feel good to say!
How do you find your true priorities in the midst of everything that we are told we should be doing, being, and having? In the midst of the urgent, put-out-the-fire, things that have to be done every day? How do you get away from feeling like you’re stuck in the movie Ground Hog Day (especially when you have small children)?
Here are some clues:
- Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get what you (say you) want? If you are not doing whatever it takes, you don’t want it badly enough, and something else is more important to you. Period.
- You think about it all the time, you long for it, it keeps you up at night.
- You’d cry if you went to your grave without ever having it, doing it, or being it.
- you feel angst or conflicted about it.
- WHAT IS THE ONE THING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT? That one thing is your priority. Tweet This!
We don’t always like the choices we have (that might be an understatement. Sometimes we fucking hate the choices we have. (And yes, I like to use the F word. What can I say, I was repressed growing up). Sometimes we want both/and and we can’t always get both/and. Yet, we still must choose. Choose anyway.
What your priorities are may change from season to season of your life. Perhaps your larger life priorities will stay the same, but how you achieve those goals and dreams may change.This is normal. Just re-assess on a regular basis–every 3 months or so and a bigger review 1x year.
Make some hard choices. Ruthlessly cut things. Move forward. Tweet This!
What are my Life Priorities? I go by my Core Desired Feelings, which are: Strong. Sacred. Sensual. Wild. Wise. Powerful. Joy. What activities help me achieve those feelings?
- Ecstatic sex
Those become my priorities.
All my smaller priorities become a means to those ends. Anything that does not serve those ends gets cut.
What have you discovered about your Life Priorities? What are your Core Desired Feelings? I want to hear…. please share… Big Love to You.